Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lysistrata Post #8

My question is: do the men truly love their wives or is it all just about sex? At first, I thought it was all about sex for them since they refused to end the war for their wives' sakes. . . until they proposed the abstinance strike. THEN suddenly they were willing to end the war. But then I reread the scene with Myrrhine and Kinesias, when Kinesias says, "She left our home, and happiness went with her" (81). That proved to me that he did truly love her, because he didn't just say that he wanted to sleep with her, he said that his home was truly not the same without her, and he also is extremely happy to hear her say that she loves him. Therefore, I think that the men did love their wives, and also agreed to have peace to make them happy, not just to end their abstinance.

2 comments:

J. Braga said...

I think the men did truly love the women, though they were more so interesting in the sex that came with them. I also noticed that when the women proposed the idea of abstaining from sex the men became more interested in ending the war, if it meant they would be able to return to their wives, and ultimately the sex. I also made the same observation between Myrrhine and Kinesias. I think Kinesias did love Myrrhine as he was saddened when she ran off.

Kristin said...

well, i think that kinesias was only saying that to try to make myrrhine feel bad and loved and come down so they can have sex. i think he was just trying to manipulate her. because he said "it makes it hard. and it gets harder all the time"
what do you think that refers to? o_O