Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lysistrata Post #3

The most interesting metaphor, I thought, was "Peace". I just found it interesting that Lysistrata would decide to use another woman's body in order to negotiate a peace arrangement. I mean, first of all, it kind of dehumanizes women because Lysistrata was encouraging the men to divide the woman up like a piece of meat. And secondly, I got the feeling that Lysistrata used "Peace" as a prop to keep the men in line- the men wouldn't argue with each other with that kind of motivation. That, however, seemed to dehumanize the men as well, making them look like animalistic fools who could barely form a complete sentence with Peace there. I think that Peace was there to represent what the men would be getting if they agreed to have peace among each other, but I think that everyone came out of the negotiations with less respect for each other than they went in with. But I guess all that matters is that the issue was resolved and everyone got what they wanted. For now.

No comments: